Most delicious foods are not inherently unhealthy–they are just made that way. So the goal when creating an enjoyable diet isn’t to toss out your favorites; it’s to reinvent them in a way that your stomach and taste buds can agree.
This recipe for avocado tuna salad is as easy on the wallet as much as it is to make. In less than 10 minutes, you can transform the boring classic tuna salad while packing in healthy fats from the avocado and muscle-building protein.
Enjoy the tuna salad in an tortilla and toast in the oven for 5 minutes, or add it to a bed of spinach with sliced tomatoes for a lower carb meal. This is a favorite recipe for one of the episodes that featured this in a tasting on the Shark Tank show. Healthy and delicious!
Avocado Tuna Salad Ingredients
- 1 4-5-oz. can albacore tuna
- ½ ripe avocado, mashed
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic powder
- Dash of Himalayan sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 2 tbsp almond slivers, toasted
- Rinse the tuna—after opening the can, of course—under cold running water for about a minute. This helps to clean out some of the preservatives used in canning and also will help decrease that fishy smell and taste.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the almond slivers.
- Using a large fork, break up the chunks of tuna, and combine all ingredients.
- Top with the toasted almond slivers for an added texture and nice crunchy bite.
- Makes one serving.
- Macros per serving:
- 357 calories
- 19g fat
- 10g carbs
- 36.5g protein
Total breakdown of ingredients:
Tuna (4 oz.): 137 calories, 1g fat, 0g carbs, 32g protein
Avocado: 118 calories, 10g fat, 6g carbs, 1g protein
Almonds: 102 calories, 8g fat, 4g carbs, 3.5g protein
Total: 357 calories, 19g fat, 10g carbs, 36.5g protein