In the pantheon of great all-purpose recipes, chili has to rank in the Top 10. It works as lunch, dinner, a snack, a side, and has so many variations that there’s something for everyone. Not to mention, if you have a slow cooker, it requires no cooking talent to make a delicious meal.
You just need the wherewithal to throw ingredients in a pot 6 to 8 hours before you want to eat. Toss in the fact that you have to work to make it unhealthy, and it’s hard to argue against chili. This recipe is a Born Fitness special, as it tosses in one of my favorite ingredients: sweet potatoes. Dig in and enjoy.
Born Fitness Recipes: High
Protein Sweet Potato Chili
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 shakes of salt
- 2 shakes of ground black pepper
- 3 shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pat coconut oil
- Optional: avocado
- Chop up all the vegetables. (Boring but necessary)
- Place sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, celery, water, chili powder, cumin, jalapenos, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a slow cooker. Cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 5 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, place in a pat of coconut oil and cook ground beef until desired preparedness (should take about 10 minutes for medium)
- Preheat over to 400 degrees and cook chicken for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and slice into thin pieces or cubes.
- Add cooked ground beef or turkey, chicken, and beans to sweet potato mixture in the slow cooker; cook until flavors have blended, 1 to 2 more hours.
- If you want, slice up some avocado and place on top.
- Eat and be satisfied.